Do you long for the day where comfort comes first when it comes to fashion? A day when you don’t need stilettos to look fabulous? Well, it seems all those years of wishin’ have paid off! Now, we can step out in trainers, leggings, loose-fitting tees and even jogging bottoms all in the name of Athleisure, officially our favourite EVER trend.
It’s not like we can crawl out of bed, throw on our trackies and look like Kate Moss. That would be a dream. While the basics of this look are comfort classics, you’ll need to style it right to create a perfectly polished look. Here, we explore the foundations of Athleisure to take your look from slob to sass.
Before you show the world how sassy you are, you’ll need to make sure your wardrobe has the basics. Make sure you’ve got:
* A bomber jacket — HUGE in 2016 and set to be even bigger this year, the loose-fitting, bulky shape of a bomber is a must for creating this look. For a feminine look, choose fresh pastel shades.
* Leggings or joggers — we’re not talking your old gymwear here — invest in a pair of branded leggings or jogging bottoms that are tapered and cuffed for a close fit.
* Sports tops — cropped tops and hoodies are perfect when paired with a pair of leggings or jogging bottoms and bomber jacket. If you’re not quite ready to show off your tum, opt for a loose-fitting sports jersey with mesh detailing.
* Trainers — forget heels, this trend all about a great pair of trainers.
When your wardrobe has been introduced to the athleisure staple items, you are ready to go. Wear them together for the ultimate sports-luxe combo or work them into other outfits — for example, why not wear a pair of Ash trainers with a flirty, feminine day dress? The juxtaposition will cement your status as the ultimate fashionista!
Versatility is a huge bonus with this trend – you can mix and match items to create your perfect look that suits your personality. You might want to keep our golden rules in mind:
* Accessorise, accessorise, accessorise! — sportswear is generally quite plain, so make your outfit pop with jewellery — think 90s throwback gold hoops and chokers and delicate gold necklaces.
* Wear a coat — one of the easiest ways to take your look from gym to street is to wear a coat. Whether it’s a loose-fitting, vintage-inspired denim or bomber jacket or a longer, open duster coat, they’ll add to your look on cooler days.
* Cover your bum — if the thought of wearing leggings fill you with dread, tie a checked or denim shirt around your waist. Acting as a super-cool, bottom-covering skirt, it will tie in with your look without cramping your style.
* Keep your workout clothes separate — if you are going to the gym, keep your workout wear separate to your athleisure wear so as to not to cross-contaminate fashion with fitness.